Other notes by danmcco:
Cajun Sausage and Turkey Jambalaya
- 5 lb. 15 oz. raw ground turkey or raw turkey or smoked turkey cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 lb. 6 oz. andouille or pork smoked sausage, 1 1/2 inches in diameter, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 3 1/2 cups minced onion
- 3 cups fresh green peppers, 1/2 inch diced
- 3 1/2 cups fresh celery, chopped
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 cup bouquet gravy coloring
- 2 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. granulated garlic
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 qt. 2 cups white rice
- Brown turkey until no signs of pink remain. Drain fat and discard.
- Add sausage, onions, peppers, and celery and simmer over low heat until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add water, gravy coloring, red pepper, black pepper, garlic, salt and parsley flakes. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, bring to a boil again. Cover and reduce heat to low. Stir after 15 minutes, cook 15 more minutes.
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon white pepper
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon thyme
- 1 Tablespoon file powder (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2+ Tablespoons garlic powder
- ¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage, 1" diced (may substitute other spicy sausage)
- 1 large onion fine diced
- 1 large red bell pepper fine diced
- 1 cup celery fine diced
- 2-3 jalapenos fine diced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, 1" dice
- 1 can diced clams with broth
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic diced
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 5 cups chicken stock (Can or box will work)
- Diced green onions for garnish
- Mix Cayenne, white, black pepper, thyme, file powder, garlic powder, cumin a small dish and set aside. Open tomatoes and set aside. Open clams and set aside. Start the Cajun music on the CD player... turn it up loud.
- Heat olive oil in heavy bottom pan on medium-high. Add sausage, cook five minutes, stirring occasionally. Lower heat to medium, add onions, celery, bell peppers, jalapenos, saute five minutes till almost tender. Turn the music up louder.
- Raise heat to medium high, add chicken cook 2-3 minutes. Lower heat to medium again, add seasoning mix and diced garlic. Cook stirring constantly for 3-5 minutes. Stir in rice cook 2-3 minutes add tomatoes, clams and chicken stock stir well. When it comes to a boil lower heat and cover for 20 min or till rice absorbs almost all the liquid.